Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tumbleweed time...

You've seen those old westerns with the deserted towns and the tumbleweed blowing down the deserted streets...
Well such is the state of my mind at the moment when it comes to developing this layout.
If you've seen some of the posts on my 4mm scale agonies blog you'll know that I can see in my minds eye just exactly what I want to put over on a model.
Lately, here that has just not been happening for me. I know what I want to put over in the model I just can't see how I want to put it over.
Mountain streams, Dinas junction station building, trees, mountains, slate built buildings. It's all there. I just can't see how these features relate to each other.
To me that is of paramount inportance. I haven't done anything to my P4 layout in months but my enthusiasm for this layout remains undiminished because I can see how every inch of the layout will look when finished. Ergo, it must be the same for this project.
In the meantime I'm reading and absorbing lots of material on all aspects of the layout. I found a fascinating piece in an old issue of the Review last night "Feldbahn Theatre" it was called. The layout was 1:22.5 scale, circular, about 3' in diameter. There was a lot of rumblings about smoke generators and such like. But the overall presentation had things that made me think. The lighting, the seamless semicircular backscene. Who knows where that article will lead me, if anywhere.
I've also taken some inspiration from Neil Rushbys' circular 009 layout. I like the way it looks. It's almost, but not quite, sort of like, almost what I'm thinking of. It nags at my brain in a way that other layouts don't.
So nothing much happenning but its not for want of trying...

1 comment:

  1. Funny you should be having problems getting a grip on Betws. I've been having similar difficulties with my French thingy; all desire and no direction, so much so that I've mentally put it onto the back burner and am waiting for that eureka moment when something suddenly clicks into place. I know it'll come if I'm patient.

    ReplyDelete