Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Getting a roundtuit..

The one great thing about being a serial layout builder is that I have started many layouts. Equally so I have not finished many layouts. So I have a ready supply of baseboards around the house. I have one at 4' x 14" one at 4' x 18" one at 4' x 2', a triangular one 4' long along the longest edge and the one that just caught my eye a circular one 3' in diameter. I don't know why it grabbed my attention. Perhaps because you don't actually see many circular layouts about. I can only think of two. Stephen Browns' Belfield Estate Railway which really excited me when I first saw it and Christopher Creightons Ganaraska Stone Quarry Tram layout. A layout that equally fascinated me when I first saw it featured in Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette. Perhaps I can do something with the circular baseboard.
Perhaps I could do something with the triangular baseboard. You see even less of them about Once again I only know of two. Both from Roy C. Link the second of his incarnations of the Crowsnest Tramway and his current Narrow gauge Sand and gravel layout.
Maybe it's not such a good idea to plan a layout around an already built baseboard. I might find myself compromising my ideas to make them fit the space. But as I've gone to the time and effort to make them already it would be foolish not to use them and with plenty of sizes and shapes to choose from I should be able to get an idea to fit.

2 comments:

  1. Pizza layout are often circular, although usually much smaller. A "family size" pizza of Belfield Hall dimensions might be perfect for the PB&SSR as you could model several scenes around the circle.

    The other triangular layout that springs to mind is the Hull MRS's current Crumley & Little Wickhill in OO9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten about that Ganaraska Stone Quarry layout, the best circular layout that I've seen.

    I like the idea of modelling several scenes around the circle...or different seasons. Should that be "seasoning", though, as it's a pizza? Mine would be called "The Marguerita Lines", a short sugar cane railway, no doubt...

    looking forward to developments
    Iain

    ReplyDelete