Friday, August 21, 2009

The roundtuit (part 2)

Something I neglected to mention about this roundtuit. It was built with the idea in mind of mounting it on a turntable and being rotated to view each different scene.
This obviously plays merry hell with the idea of a conventional backscene. Which is why some of Neil Rushby's Blog entries entitled "presentation" 1, 2 and 3 have interested me somewhat. They are ideas that have buzzed around in my own head from time to time over the years. But I'd always discounted them because "staged presentation" was the vogue and I liked that too especially when the examples I'd seen were done well. Plus for a while there it did almost seem like heresy to be against it.
Now with a rotating layout there is no way I can have a conventional backscene attached to the rear of the layout. But some kind of freestanding backdrop (tree covered mountainside) like in part 1 would seem like a good idea. Of course then there is the issue of changing trains out via the cassette access at the rear of the layout. The backscene would then get in the way.
I need some clever lateral thinking here...

No comments:

Post a Comment